What is Australia’s most popular car colours?

Hello there reader,

Do you know that the teachers assigned us with a new task! I’m sure you’re wondering what the task is, right? Well, the title of this little segment might give you a clue. Yes, it has something to do with colours. Yes, it has something to do with cars, and yes, it has something to do with New Gisborne. The task that the teachers gave us was… actually a question, it was: ‘What is Australia’s Most Popular car colours?’ Doesn’t sound to hard right?

First! We were asked to predict a prediction about which colour we thought would be the most popular. I thought about it for a long, long time. Finally, I got something! But then I changed it. I then came up with, Black! I thought this colour would be a top notch colour because, it doesn’t get very dirty, or if it did get dirty, you wouldn’t be able to see it! I then thought of a few other colours that I had in mind. I asked the teacher whether I could write down more than one colour that I would predict. Guess what? She said yes! I then quickly jotted my ideas down. Grey was one idea, I thought grey because it is a very standard colour for cars. I also thought about Yellow, I thought it was going to be a top of the chart colour because there are heaps of taxis and taxis buses. Also we had a conversation on the whiteboard! Look, below, for image.

White Board discussion

After doing all that, the teachers asked us to think of 10 colours that we would record. We chose white, black, silver, grey, yellow, red, blue/navy blue, green, maroon, and- wait! The teachers then changed the last colour to an ‘other’ category.

The next day, we took a hard stroll to the train station. Do you know why it was such a hard stroll? Why? Because every car colour that went by, every car colour that was parked had to be tallied. So, I had walk to the station, recording every stinking car colour that went by or was parked and then walk back to school.

Shortly after the collection of data we converted it, from fraction to decimal, from decimal to percentage. My grand total was… 282! Though it wasn’t that at first until I double checked and found out that my previous total was incorrect. In the end we worked everything out and got a hundred percent! Here’s another photo, but this time, it’s my conversion!

Convertion

Then we used the raw data and cooked it into a nice delicious pie graph. Every sector is a colour. How big a sector is depending on its percentage. It actually looks really good after all the hard work. Below is a picture of my delicious pie graph, so tasty!

Pie chart

Next, we had a great big discussion. We had this discussion because everyone was not getting a hundred percent! Everyone except for a few of us. The teacher then realised (with my help) that the total number of cars is the culprit making every one have either over a hundred percent, or below a hundred percent. We then researched and found out that there were about 31,600 cars in the Macedon Ranges. Our totals were then very small to the great grand total of the Macedon Ranges. Our totals were about one percent. So, we found out that our total was not valid to be the whole Macedon Ranges total. Then we had to change our titles. Instead of the Macedon Ranges most popular car colours, it would have to be New Gisborne’s most popular car colours.

Well, now we had to see if our data matched up with a website that we found. The information on the website said that White, Black, Grey, and silver was 70% of the car colours out of 9000 cars. Actually, all my White, Black, Grey, and silver percentages added up to… 70%!

That was the end of the investigation. Now for a short reflection! What was the hardest thing in the investigation? I think that the hardest thing to do in the investigation was to actually record the information of the car colours. It was so, so hard because, you would have to walk around not knowing where you would be going and recording everything in your maths book. Also by the time I came back with body was aching.

Thank you for reading this post about my car colour investigation!

Here is a link to the website we used for information. Car colours.