Hi there reader,
Smoking is well know for killing people and giving them cancer. But, not only that, it brings poverty, growing the tobacco diverts prime land away from growing food for people,and it damages the environment. A lot of people have tried to stop the smoking companies, but they keep coming back. They have been influencing adults, and even kids to smoke! Now, let’s talk about what smoking does in real detail.
Smoking kills, we all know that, but did you know that smoking:
- Is the second big killer of the world?
- A person dies every 1 of 6 seconds because of smoking?
- It kills up to half of all smokers?
- killed 100 million people in the 20th century?
- Makes a smoker lose about 20 years of life expected to a normal person who doesn’t smoke?
Smoking brings poverty because once someone is hooked, he can’t get of it. He will then have to spend money on buying more and more cigarettes to smoke.
Smoking diverts land that could be used for growing food because when the tobacco companies say they are using “minor” land to grow, they mean enough land to deprive about 10 million to 20 million people of food.
Smoking damages the environment by:
- Land being destroyed to make room for growing tobacco plants
- Tobacco uses a lot of water and is sprayed with pesticide and therefore damages the water supply
- A lot of wood is used to help cure tobacco plants when they are unhealthy
In 1987, the world’s worst forest fire caused by cigarettes happened in China, killing 300 people, making 5,000 people homeless, and destroying 1.3 million hectares of land.
I hope that you have learned to either stop smoking, or what the effects of smoking has done to the world, if you want the world to be a better place, don’t smoke, don’t buy tobacco and stop tobacco companies, I’m not saying to storm into a factory and demand a shutdown, but to do as much as you can in your power to make a difference.
The first picture here is from news.domain.com.au
This photo is from QuitSmoking.com.