Paper, an Infamous Maths Tool

Hello there reader, as the title suggests, this post is about paper and how it has been a maths tool in my grade.

When you think of paper, you think of drawing, writing, and paper planes! Especially paper planes. But paper planes also have maths in them. But today I’m not going to talk about paper plane maths, I’m going to talk about… paper maths. (Don’t be disappointed)Which is paper without the plane. So instead of planes we made lots of other different things which can be measured and recorded. Here they are:

First up Ladies and Gentlemen is the paper helicopter, if you don’t know what it looks like, look below.

The paper helicopter I was talking about

Now all you do is you chuck it off the top of a building (If you want to) and it will (If you know how to follow instructions) spiral to the ground looking like a helicopter. If you want to learn how to make it click on this link http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Paper-Helicopter Now we recorded how long it took to get to the ground, but we didn’t throw it off a building, we threw it off the moon! Jokes, we threw it off the top of the spider web which is quite tall. (Throwing it off the moon isn’t a good idea) The teacher had a stopwatch and was timing our descents. Here are my results. For the first attempt I got 4 seconds. Which I thought was pretty good. For the next attempt, I got 3 seconds, not good. But the last attempt was a miracle, I got 7 seconds! And the crowd goes crazy! (Which is meant to be you) But I soon found out that I was beaten by 8 seconds.

Next up is the surprisingly named 3,2,1 Pop! Now you must be wondering what in the world is it, well let me tell you a little something. That little something is what 3,2,1 Pop is. It’s actually just a combo of vinegar and baking soda, in a weird plastic holder thingamajig which had a lid. When you combined the elements it would (Supposedly) blast into the sky. Which was wrong. For ALL the attempts I got 0 m. All it did was fizz and let out all the precious pressure. Not good at ALL. My results for that were 0 m, 0 m, 0 m, you get it. If you want to know how to do it visit this site http://www.nasa.gov/

The next thing is the Paper Rocket! It’s basically a rolled up piece of paper that gets launched by another rolled up piece of paper. It’s actually quite fun but you can’t really get it further than 8 m as I found out with my results which were 6.8 m, 8 m, and 5.4 m. Quite successful in the end. I didn’t put anything on the rocket but it still flew far enough.  Here’s what you need to make it http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Rocket. Here’s the table of all the info:

Table

From this data you can see that both my paper rocket and paper helicopter did better than my 3, 2, 1, pop.

The paper helicopter’s result mean is smaller than the paper rockets mean.

Things I did learn, be better at being fast at putting two things into one. (Referring to the 3, 2, 1, Pop!)

Well, I hope you have learned as much as I have, which isn’t a lot. See ya!