Costa’s Levels of Questioning

Hey readers this blog post is about what do you know, Costa’s levels of questioning. Don’t go all higgly jiggly on me now, I’ll explain EVERYTHING. (That’s just exaggeration)

In class we have been focusing on Costa’s levels of questioning. Costa’s levels of questioning involves 3 levels of questioning.

THE FIRST LEVEL

The first level of questioning is basically you 5 W’s plus a h. (Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?) It’s called the literal level of questioning. It’s where you gather all the information. Let me give you some examples:

• What is the name of the character?
  • Why are you reading this?
  • Where is your house? (Don’t answer that)

It’s the right in your face literal questions, you with me? (That’s a first level question)

THE SECOND LEVEL

The second level of questioning is the inferential area. It’s where you kind of make deeper thought into questions which means you use clues in the text to make a question. It’s a bit harder than the first level of questioning. Let me give you some examples:

• Why did the main character act that way?
  • What are you thinking when you read this post?
  • Why would anyone drink toilet water? (Don’t ask)

There you go. To get these questions you kind of have to read between the lines…

THE THIRD LEVEL

The third level of questioning is evaluative. It’s where you evaluate the text and make a question to go with that. It’s basically making an opinion on the text. It could also be making a prediction or a theory on the text. They are also quite detailed. Let me give you some examples:

• What is your opinion of this blog post?
  • Are you enjoying this blog post?
  • Is your mother sick? (Nothing personal)

It’s making judgments  about what you have read in the text.

Let’s go a little further  in the topic of questioning by asking some questions…

Why do we question? 

Well, it helps us understand more of the topic or text by getting that information that you wouldn’t normally get.

How does questioning help us with our learning? 

Um… I just said! It helps us understand more of the topic we are learning.

What are some activities we have done in class?

This activity and reading stuff on computers and asking questions… We also did this thing called Cornell Notes, which we had a sheet of paper that was neatly organised in boxes, and we wrote notes and made questions out of them.

What are some questions that you have developed from these activities? 

WHY are we doing these ACTIVITIES? (These next few questions have nothing to do with you but you can still read them) Why does the girl in the story like pretending to be upset? I give up! That’s it, good bye!

I mean it, see ya! (Post has ended)